Friday, May 18, 2012

Saw's Soul Kitchen

There used to be a day for me when a trip into the city of Birmingham would always include a stop at Dreamland BBQ.  Now don't get me wrong, Dreamland is still a fine option, but there's a new downtown dining destination in my book.  It's Saw's Soul Kitchen.  Having recently opened in Avondale (just east of downtown), Saw's is the quintessential hole-in-the-wall...it has an off-the-beaten-path location, an old sign still left from the previous owner of the building, 6 small tables (that you have to hover over if you have any hope of landing one), a few picnic tables outside on the pavement, and a line of people out the door (especially at lunch).  The menu, which is a large chalkboard on the wall, is pretty simple and consists of classic southern cuisine. 


If you're a Grub Hub follower, you know that burgers are a big deal for me.  And in my quest to find the best...Saw's has managed to move to the top of my Birmingham list.  On my first visit (about a month ago), after walking in the door and seeing a few burgers being delivered to other tables, my mind was made up.  Suffice it to say...boy knows his burgers.  They're big, flavorful and have a perfect meat-to-bun ratio.  If you're making your first trip to Saw's, I highly recommend the burger.  Add a pile of fresh onion rings on the side and you've got yourself a meal you won't soon forget.



On my second trip to SSK, I found myself wanting (needing) to eat a bit healthier.  I had a buddy that had recommended the fish, so I decided to go with the blackened amberjack sandwich.  Wow!  A thick, hot, juicy filet seasoned with just the right amount of "black."  I tacked on a couple of sides...the greens (which were fantastic) and the deviled eggs (which were average).  And since I was eating healthy, I decided I needed some fruit, too...so I ordered the strawberry cobbler.  Here's my only critical word for Saw...dude, you need to warm up your cobbler before you serve it.  It tasted good, but it was cold. 



One of the great things about SSK is that there's enough variety to keep you coming back!  Here's just a sampling...pulled pork and greens piled onto a mound of grits, fried green tomato BLT, fried chicken salad sandwich, pulled chicken sandwich with white sauce, smoked sausage, fried shrimp sandwich, and more!  Bottom line..great southern food at a reasonable price.

See ya at Saw's!



No comments:

Post a Comment